Friday, June 27, 2014

Capturing Texture Creatively

We are surrounded by all kinds of texture, but often don't think about capturing those textures with our cameras.  

With my camera and camcorder in hand, I visited two of our Phoenix city parks.  My goal was to 1) show you how to photograph various textures and 2) put those textures to use in Photoshop. 

You can see the video here:

Want a free copy of the sample textures that we captured during the tutorial video?  Click here.

Starting with one of the landscape photographs I took during that session, you can see that I created several very different looks.  All of these digital enhancements were done with textures I captured during the tutorial. 


First enhancement: the landscape photo is simply turned slightly, given a white border and a drop shadow, and set on top of one of the rocks photographed during the tutorial.



The next treatment started with one of the pictures of gravel. I put a tan layer behind the gravel and changed the blend mode to "luminosity", then changed the opacity down to 20%. Next step was to place the landscape photo on top of the gravel. Final step was to add a layer mask to the landscape and use a brush created from one of the tree shots to mask out the edge of the top layer photo. 



The third way that I decided to digitally enhance the landscape photo was to create a brush from the mesquite pods. Then I painted over the landscape photo using the art history brush, varying the size of the brush and the opacity of the ink flowing.  Final step was to give the painting the illusion of floating by adding a drop shadow.




Here's a grunge treatment. I used gravel, one of the green sharp pointy shrubs, and the quartz to build the overlay.




I hope that I've helped inspire you to grab your camera and not be afraid to play. Experiment with photographing textures so you have a library of assets that can be used to create overlays, backdrops, brushes, and special shapes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment